POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 17 Oct 2009 05:15:06
Message: <4ad98b1a$1@news.povray.org>
Small piece of advice:

- To avoid fast fragmentation, redirect 'TMP' and 'TEMP' environment
variables (Windows key+Pause, Advanced options, Environment variables)
to a dedicated partition, same for 'pagefile.sys' and 'My Documents';
keep 'C:' only for Windows and programs. Acronis Disk Director for easy
re-partitioning, MS 'DiskPart' sucks so much at it and 'diskmgmt.msc' is
very rudimentary.

- IMO the best defragger is 'Raxco PerfectDisk 10', with its Boot-time
Defragmentation defraggs Windows system files and with its 'Stealth
Patrol' scheduler you can defrag in second plane while your PC/Notebook
is idle, also it has a 'Performance' Tab and an Analysis option that
gives you a very detailed and clear vision of any partition and is very
easy to use. It has a x64 version and recognizes Vista partitions. You
can't ask for more.

- You can speed up even more your HDD by disabling the 'Last Access time
stamp' that NTFS uses, unless you need it.

- Reducing the MFT Zone helps reclaim 'wasted' disk space.

I use 2 .bat files after I install Windows for the first time or when I
service a PC/Notebook for the first time to help me with the disk
performance:

ft.bat
-------

@echo off